Sunday 4 March 2012

week 4- skirt 2

On the fourth week of this module, we had to make a second skirt and in my team, we worked with a white poly-amide fabric that is usually used for curtain finishes. This made the process of making and experimenting much more interesting, as this fabric is really extraordinary and I found it really interesting to work with.The fabric was of middle thickness and so, when coming into the workroom, I had already decided I want to create a structured skirt.

I did not use any pattern block, as I wanted to create my own shape and I started with this cut, using double surface.

I sewed the two pieces of fabric with each other, creating small lines with a 4mm empty space so that a metallic wire could feet in. 

 The same happened for both front and back parts of the skirt.

This is how it looked with the wire inside, but before I formed it.


 I, then added two zips on the back of the skirt.



From the research I had earlier conducted,  I came up with this shape, after I formed the metallic wires.




But coming into the workroom the next morning, I decided I wanted to change the shape and try another one. So I bent the wire two times , so that the shape looks like layers.





I added the waistband in the form of gathering, to create a ballerina feeling in the skirt, and the design was completed!




My ballerina model right before the catwalk




My inspiration pictures:





General comments about the garment:

In my opinion it worked very well as a garment, it came out 90% of what I expected and imagined it to be, but I still am satisfied. For the fact that I like creating avant-garde style garments, I believe my idea and experimentation paid out well and I could personally imagine a whole collection based on the roots of this garment. The only thing that I disagree with, is the colour of the skirt, which was white- I would prefer to see it in a brighter and stronger colour, or in a printed fabric with bohemian shapes. The thing that made me proud is that both my model and a classmate of mine, said they would really wear it to go out. 
The problem I faced with this garment was pattern I created which was not really accurate and so when I bent the wires, the fabric shaped many creases all over the skirt, something I did not want. Another problem I had was that I rushed to form the shape I wanted, without having the waistband added, and so I found trouble sewing it afterwards without destroying the shape.
For an opening, I used two zips on the back of my skirt, in this way I had a bigger space for the body to feet in, especially in the area around the lower waist.
The thing I should definitely try to improve next time, is my finishes and my sewing skills.
For the making of the skirt I used polyamide fabric, 2 meter, with about 0,5 cm spare left. It costed me 3,5 pounds a meter.




No comments:

Post a Comment