Sunday 18 March 2012

week 6- Trousers 2

This week we had to make a second pair of trousers and my team and I worked with stretchy cotton  satin. I decided I wanted to make men's trousers once I had never done it before and I thought it would be challenging for me. I wanted to experiment with the fabric and the shape and create a style that didn't remind anything of the usual Saville Row style men's trousers. When I got the fabric I came up with the idea to pleat it and see what happens. I likes the effect and the movement of the pleats when they where not totally pressed but opened for some millimeters. So, for the front surface I sewed about 15 centimeter on each pleat vertical on top and bottom in order to keep the pleat design in place and let it keep the movement on the middle area of the legs.








For the back, I wanted to keep it simpler because I thought that the front surface had too much information, so I decided to use only one pleat in the middle and try adding jet pockets. The next step was to attach the front part to the back and add the waistband. The trousers where ready.

















General comments about the garment:

Even thought I was not very satisfied when I finished the pair of trousers, when I saw it worn on a human body and on the move I thought that it finally worked really well as an idea. I found the form of really different, interesting and far from the idea of people about mens trousers. The problem of the trouser were the colour and fabric of it, and that is a reason why I would not call it fashion, even though I that if it was executed in different material it would be really fashionable. The main problems I faced while contracting it, was that I didn't use a trouser block from the beginning and so after I pleated the pieces of fabric, it came out smaller that the basic men's trouser block and so after I sewed it, the fabric was stretching in order for the body to feet in, which made different openings on the top and the bottom of the legs. Another problem the trouser had were the pockets which were not sewed well on the right and left side. The whole construction of the trousers was not very careful because I got the fabric on Thursday morning so I practically has only some hours to finish it and that was a big minus to my work.
The thing I should improve for next time is the making of the details such as pockets and ask for some guidance on how some certain part of a garment are made, such as the jet pockets. The fabric we used for the trousers was stretchy cotton satin and I used 2 meters. The fabric costed 6 pounds per meter and it was sourced at UK fabrics at Goldhawk Road.





No comments:

Post a Comment