Sunday 26 February 2012

week 3 - trousers 1

The third week of Explore Materials we had to make a pair of trousers and my team and I chose to work with linen which is a middle heavy and moving fabric. I thought of a trouser that would have a really low cut around the hip and another printed fabric would continue on the top and shape a kind of a bubble. I started with a basic block of trousers and i worked with a kind of gathering i would say, using much fabric on a smaller piece of calico and sewing it all around.

Then I added pockets



The next step was adding the front of the trousers which i thought i wanted it to be simple.


The next step was to add the upper part ,so i used a printed cotton fabric , added elastic on the part of the waste and connected it with the first piece.



The last part of the trousers was adding two more pieces of cotton fabric on each leg which i thought should open in the bottom with a Velcro up close.



The last detail I added was cutting out some small wholes on the front surface so that the design looks like a continue on the cotton fabric print.

The trousers where ready to be worn!And the show started once more !









General comments about the garment:

When finishing the trousers, I was not as satisfied with the outcome as I did for the last two garments. I believe it was too full of information and the viewer did not know on which area to focus first. I think that the basic mistake was the choice of the additional fabric. If I would only work with the given black linen fabric , it would be much better.I think this pair of trousers would not be able to be called fashion due to the design of it. Another main problem that the garment had was the pockets on the back which stood very low as i did not count where i should place them the right way. A good aspect of this week was that I noticed I improved my sewing skills and I felt more confident with it. A main thing that I should improve the next time is focusing on the phrase ' less is more' and create a much smarted and simpler garment. I used two meters of black linen fabric which costed me 5.50 pounds and a meter of cotton fabric which costed me 3 pounds a meter. Both fabrics where sourced at the Goldhawk fabric market.





No comments:

Post a Comment