Sunday 22 April 2012

week 9 - Trousers 3

This week we had to sew a third pair of trousers and I chose to work with thick cotton drill as I wanted to make a structured garment. After some designer research I did, I came up with the futuristic/technological theme, but I mixed it up with lace in case for the trousers to have a romantic view as well.
I draped all the pieces of the trousers on the stand and I started with two pieces on the right and left outer sides of the trousers.

Then I took long pieces of fabric and sewed them on the pieces creating curves over curves and this shaped layers of fabrics over each other.





The next step was the center front and back top pieces of the trousers which would look like a shorts.



For the inner sides of the legs I used lace that was sewed exactly on the edges of the structure I had created already.
For the outer low part of the legs I used elastic pieces sewed all across the length.





For the closing I added the hidden trousers zip.


I also made a top using cotton drill and a glimmering polyester fabric I bought from Paris, as I wanted to present the whole outfit in the fashion show that would take place later this evening.

And this is the garment worn on a body












Two pictures from the evening catwalk show.








Inspiration pictures:








General comments about the garment:

I think that this pair of trousers is the best garment I have made until now, and I via this pair of trousers I could understand my improvement from week 1 until week 9. My design and cut have really improved as well as the details I believe, so in general I think that this garment worked very well and passed the message to the viewer. I think it is a garment that is able to be called fashion as the theme of it and the shapes that where formed are into today's expectations of the industry,it looked alternative and original.
For an opening I used a zip on the center front.
The main problem I faced with this garment was in the part where the pieces that where curved where stitched,because the layers made this part really thick and then I could not stitch it back looking to the center back, so the seams where visible through the transparent lace.
Another problem of this garment was that it was not easily wearable as the elastics where too tight and the models that wore there trousers had to ask for help to fit their feet in.
A thing I should do next time to improve is to add more design details like pockets.
The fabrics I used were cotton drill which costed 5 pounds per meter and I used 1,5 meters, and lace which costed 4,5 pounds per meter and I used half a meter.
Both fabrics where  sourced at Fabric World / Goldhawk Road.






No comments:

Post a Comment